EASY STEPS TO START COLLECTING
- Contact your local Department of Social Services Foster Care Director.
Explain the project. Tell the Director that the suitcases could be
distributed immediately to children in protective care and/or
be stored for use when a child is taken into care.
Ask these questions:
- 1. How many suitcases would they like?
- 2. Can they store the extras collected or do you need to find
a church, friend or building where the surplus can be kept?
- 3. Could they put you in contact with surrounding counties'
foster care offices so that you might start the project there
and maybe provide them with some of your extras?
- Make Copies of Aubyn's letter asking for help. Put your name and
telephone number at the bottom of the letter.
- Make copies of the notices to put in church bulletins and club
- Contact 4-H Clubs, Girl Scout troops, Boy Scout troops, churches
and community groups (like Jaycees, Lions, Rotary, etc.) to help.
Give these groups copies of the letter to distribute to members.
Speak to the group personally if possible. Ask for suitcases,
backpacks, duffels, cloth grocery bags...anything that a child
could use to carry his/her belongings in.
* * *Make sure these groups know who will pick up suitcases
from individual donors and where the suitcases should be taken
(either to your home, your helpers' homes, or directly to the
Department of Social Services).* * *
Contact your local newspapers with the story. Try to get the newspaper to
take a photograph of you and some suitcases to use with the story.
Stories with photographs are much more frequently read than those
without a picture. Newspapers always appreciate extra information
that is already written down. So provide each paper with a copy of the
article included with this kit for best coverage of your project.
- Make copies of Aubyn's official 'thank you' note. Send one to each
person or group that donates suitcases. Everyone always appreciates
- Sit back and wait for the telephone to ring with donations. The project
has been an overwhelming success in every community in which
it has been introduced. Remember! Your goal is to train people to
automatically donate their unused suitcases to children in foster
care...just like they recycle their old cans and newspapers.